Skip to main content

Hi. I needed some help regarding the new EU logframe template 2015. Since the specific objective and outcomes have been clubbed at one level, I am confused whether the result outcomes or the specific objective should be listed here. Does it make sense to list the specific objective as the outcome and the result outcomes as intermediate outcomes?

Any feedback on the topic will be highly appreciated.

Comments (1)

Hi Anam,

Your question is very relevant. Normally, the new logframe template should have been accompanied by a new Project Cycle Management (PCM) Guidelines given that the last publicly available version of that document is that of 2004; therefore, my personal opinion is to combine the 2004 PCM Guidelines with the new template.

The new logframe apparently reintroduces the older term "Specific Objective" (instead of "Purpose" which had been introduced in the PCM Guidelines) and allows inserting more than one Specific Objectives (contrary to the PCM guidelines). Apparently the new logframe tries to be more aligned to the result chain of other development agencies (e.g., USAID, DFID and SDC): activities - outputs - outcomes –impact in the context of aid coordination.

My proposal is to continue having a single Specific Objective [i.e. do not use the "s" option from the title of the box "Specific Objective(s)"] for the action you design. Your Specific Objective can serve as a title for the outcomes to follow (Oc or iOc) which can be written directly under the Specific Objective in the same box. I would not insert any indicator for the Specific Objective in the corresponding columns, but only for the listed outcomes.

I hope the above can help you.

All the best,

Costas